I finally got around to updating this blog to the new domain name:
transpile.net. It’s a double entendre, get it? Follow me on BlueSky, which uses this root domain as the DID. Even though I haven’t touched this blog since around this time last year, it was effortless to get it up and running with the latest version of Hugo and a switch to GitLab Pages. I have lots of ideas for writing and follow-ups, so check back.
I found the easiest way to get
virt-viewer to run on Monterey (M1) was to use a separate Intel installation of homebrew. Then I looked through the recent forks of jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager for something that looked reasonably up to date and did the usual
brew tap installation.
I recently sold the two aquariums I’ve had for the last year and a bit and replaced them with a bigger, nicer one. I’m going all out with CO2, tons of tricky plants, great natural decor, and maybe even discus! For now, I have a handful of corydoras panda swimming around a giant tank. Quick aside, I hope the ones I bought were tank-bred, because they’re a near-threatened species. That definitely makes me look at them a bit differently.
Although the garden is looking great, I recently discovered a sinister pest called the squash vine borer. The black and orange moth lands on gourds, lays its eggs, and the resulting larva bore through well established vines and kill the plant. I’ve been systematically excising them from pumpkins and zucchini with tweezers but it’s a losing battle.
Our garden has never looked better, all thanks to thanks to SARS-CoV-2. When I saw the headlines in Decemeber 2019 I stocked up on tons of seeds: hot peppers, pumpkins, squash, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and greens. I knew I’d have lots of time at home.
Compilers are hard. The cliff you have to climb to get LLVM to spit out ‘Hello world’ is several kilometres tall. Of course, that’s after you’ve crossed the Sahara on foot, without water, to write a parser and lexer.